Walmgate Bar, Police and Fire, York

We bought a few items from Beverley Antiques and Collectors Centre last week. One is a postcard of Walmgate Bar. It had been posted to Mrs Beckett, Barton-le-Willow, near York on 11.7.1908. Looking at census records, I think this was Mary (born c1866). She was married to John (c1824), a retired blacksmith. It was written by E Hawkins.

E.S London no. 3169

The timber-framed extension on the inside of Walmgate Bar was built 1584 to 1586. This bar was used for housing for many years. John Browne was born here in 1792. He became a historian of the Minster. Police officers and their families were also accommodated here. York Explore’s website notes that the Hare family were living there in 1915. On the 1911 York census, Arthur Hare was the Police Inspector. He was living at the Fire Station married quarters on Lower Friargate. The Law Court built in 1892 also housed the police station and fire station. The doors to the fire station can still be seen at the river end of Lower Friargate.

The later fire station, on Clifford Street, dated from 1935, has now been turned into apartments.

It was built on the site of a chapel, known as Methodist New Connexion, Trinity Chapel or Peckitt Street Chapel.

It was designed by JB and W Atkinson, who had also designed the County Hospital behind Monkgate. The Chapel opened in 1856 and the site included a school room and lecture room. In the 1930s the chapel formed part of Monkgate Methodist Circuit. This included James Street, Burton Lane and Duke of York Street.  In 1957 Monkgate Circuit amalgamated with the York, Clifton Circuit. Glimpses of the once beautiful chapel can be seen from Peckitt Street. This area was previously the site of the Franciscan Priory founded about 1230 and dissolved by Henry VIII. Parts of the wall can be seen on Tower Place and South Esplanade.

Tagged with: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*